If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right. Switch to Accessible Site


You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Follow Us

  1. Stop - Failure to stop after an accident is a felony if someone is injured. Failure to stop after an accident is a misdemeanor if no one is injured and there is only property damage.

  2. CALL 911 - Report an accident and advise if anyone is injured. Take an ambulance to the hospital if you are injured.

  3. Safety - If you're not injured, protect the scene with flares if possible. If your car is on a street with fast moving traffic, wait for the police outside of your car, off the road and on the side away from your car, just in case your car is struck by another car. Do not stand in front of your car and do not stand with your back to the traffic.

  4. Police - Insist that a police accident report is made when the police arrive; cooperate with the police but do not make admissions or give opinions. If there are any witnesses on your behalf, get their name, address & telephone number and ask them to give a statement to the police officer. Get a Police Accident Report #.

  5. Identification - Get the name & address of all other drivers and registered owners of all other vehicles involved in the accident. Also get the license plate numbers, VIN (Vehicle Identification #) and the state of registration for all other vehicles involved in the accident. If a 2 piece truck is involved in the accident, get the license plate number, VIN & state of both the cab and the trailer.

  6. Take notes - to help you remember all of the facts leading up to the accident.It is imperative that you report your injuries to a doctor as soon as possible after the accident.

  7. Why you should see an attorney immediately and not wait? After an accident, there are many forms claim notices which have short time deadlines to file, some of which may be only a number of days. Only an experienced personal injury lawyer knows how to fill out and file the forms and claim notices correctly. These forms should be filled out and filed by your attorney. For instance, you may be required to file an accident report with the Department of Motor Vehicles within days of the accident, if someone is injured or if there is substantial property damage. This form will usually be sent to you by your insurance company. You should give this form to your attorney to assist you in completing it. If a municipality may be liable for any part of your injuries, (such as improper road design or a missing sign) you must file a notice of claim with the municipality, usually, within 90 days of the date of accident (your attorney must do this for you). The insurance company for the person(s) responsible for your injuries should be immediately notified by your attorney of your claim, since failure to do so can allow the insurance company to decline coverage.